Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ambition or Foolishness?


What is insomnia? Why is it that some people get it? According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, insomnia can be trouble falling asleep, falling asleep easily but awaking too soon, or both. What causes such things? Depending on the time of day I have trouble falling asleep, and when I do I only sleep for a short period of time. It would be highly productive if only it didn't leave my body and mind fatigued. Yes, there is a catch to such a benefit as a lessened desire for sleep. Take now for instance, I should be sleeping, however I can not force myself... terrible for me because I will feel it later.

I read in "Women's Encyclopedia of Health and Emotional Healing" (Foley & Nechas, Rodale Press) that a lot of women contract a "Superwoman" disorder in which a busy woman will sacrifice sleep in order to be more productive or just to get some relaxation and alone time. Sounds familiar. I'm certain this issue stretches to more than just the American woman, it's a problem in many people resulting from our fast paced, high demand society.

Don't get me wrong... I love the hustle and bustle of today's world. There's so many opportunities that I feel I am depriving myself by sitting back and watching it all go by. What about you? I likely jump at EVERY opportunity that crosses my path, simply because I never know what lies behind the next magical door of possibility. However, I always have to ask myself, what is more important: my body and mind, or catching the next opportunity? Believe it or not, the answer to that question can be difficult sometimes.

So here I sit, battling with myself, determining right from wrong, hoping that before everything in this life is said and done, I will have something to show for my pains. I suffer from the malady of an ambitious youth, I suppose.

S. Langh
Write About Everything
slanghorne@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment